The Martinez is often called ‘the father of the martini’. It's a delicate yet complex drink and one of our all-time favourites. It also works particularly well with Jam Jar Gin.
The sharpness of the maraschino really brings out the citric hit of our London Dry Gin - which comes from raspberry leaves - giving a refreshing, tart bite as you first taste it.
Right after that, the mellow sweet vermouth combines gently with the gin's unusually long creaminess to create a soft, smooth ending to the drink.
After which, there's nothing to do but enjoy another sip of this great, but often overlooked libation.
Here's how you make it.
- 30ml Jam Jar Gin
- 30ml Italian (sweet) Vermouth (e.g. Antica Formula)
- 2.5ml Maraschino Liqueur (e.g. Luxardo)
- 3 dashes Boker’s Bitters
- Slice of Lemon Peel (for garnish)
- Pour Jam Jar Gin, Vermouth, Maraschino into a mixing glass over ice, add the Boker's bitters and stir quickly until cold.
- Fine strain the liquid into a small cocktail glass.
- Cut a thin slice of lemon peel then twist it, squeeze it and drop it in.
Do let us know how you get on with it.
We love seeing YOUR cocktails, so please do keep sharing them via #jamjargin on social media.
Don't forget to sign up to our newsletter to receive cocktail ideas and more each month.
And remember to stock up on our award-winning Jam Jar Gin to make the Martinez (or any other marvellous creation) - just click on the links below.